In this article you'll find everything you need to know about adventure travel. We'll help you resolve the typical doubts you might have before embarking on a trip of this scale: what to pack, the characteristics of these trips, recommended destinationsexperience, etc. Adventure travel is a type of travel you never forget You leave with one backpack, but you return with thousands of backpacks full of moments, lessons learned, people met, stories to tell... An adventure trip doesn't change your life, but it does make you think about it. We invite you to plan one of the most special trips you'll ever take, where you'll discover yourself, meet new people and cultures and, most importantly, travel to your favourite destination. Here are a few suggestions tips and tricks to help you organise your next adventure trip.
What characterises an adventure trip?
What is an adventure trip like? The great thing about adventure travel is that everyone experiences it in their own way. Although it is personal, there are certain aspects that tend to define this type of trip. These are as follows:
- Adventure travel is when you know when you're going and when you're coming back, but you're not sure what's going to happen 'during'.
- Adventure travel is an incredible form of personal enrichment. You can learn from others, immerse yourself in the customs of other cultures, eat their food, practise their rituals... It's an experience like no other!
- You'll meet lots of people. That's one of the main advantages of adventure travel: you'll always have the chance to meet travellers like yourself. This makes your trip even more rewarding. Exchange opinions and points of view, let them tell you about their lives and you tell them about yours, share personal belongings, eat together... all this will make your adventure trip unique.
- Adventure travel can be done alone. If you want a unique and different experience, this is the trip for you. You can go accompanied, but it's true that most adventurous travellers do it alone. One of the main aims of adventure travel is to meet people, so travelling alone doesn't mean you'll be alone all the time.
- You can travel with just what you need. An adventure trip is characterised by thriftiness. No luxury, no five-star hotels... but that's precisely what makes it more authentic and real. What's more, you can travel with very little money. With the exception of flights and other unavoidable expenses, you can eat dehydrated food, share with others, sleep in hostels, and so on.
The most popular trips for adventurers
An adventure trip starts with choosing the place you want to visit. However, it's true that some places offer more opportunities for adventure than others. For example, it is strongly recommended that you choose a place where you can move around freely, i.e. where transport is not excessively difficult or expensive, where you can communicate and where you are interested in everything you are going to see. It's also interesting to note that it's mainly nature.
Urban adventure trips lose their appeal: they tend to be so organised and structured that the 'adventure' attribute is lost. What's more, the normal part of an adventure trip is to do adventure sports: risky sports, different activities, different transport... Something you'll find hard to do in developed cities that are better prepared for tourism. You can also opt for a combined adventure trip, during which you visit cities and natural areas. Here is a list of some of the most remarkable adventure trips in Europe. The ones we think you'll really enjoy.
One of Europe's jewels, perfect for an adventure trip. Nature at its purest, friendly locals: the reindeer, opportunities for adventure sports and a thousand and one places to discover.
The Haute Maurienne
Last valley in the French Alps before Italy. The Upper Maurienne is another hidden gem in the Northern Alps. Home to one of the 10 most beautiful villages in France (Bonneval-sur-Arc), the valley lies at the centre of the Vanoise National Park, the largest protected natural park in France. With its picturesque mountain villages, high mountains, rock-climbing cliffs and immense wilderness where ibex, chamois and birds of prey bask, the valley is a little paradise for fans of the great outdoors!
In the north-west of Spain lies a hidden treasure for surfers: Galicia. With its reminiscence of Brittany, this strip of land is still little-known. Galicia is a cross between Brittany and the Caribbean. The landscapes alternate between cliffs, unspoilt beaches, turquoise waters and eucalyptus forests. It's a region that's still unspoilt and very little visited.
Galicia is not just about wild beaches lined with white sand dunes and perfect waves. There's also a rich local gastronomy, including the famous paella. As the beaches are far from urban centres, the Galicians have specialised in fishing and seafood. It's the ideal place for any adventure trip combined with water sports!
The Gorges du Verdon
Do you dream of freedom, grandiose landscapes and spectacular views? The Gorges du VerdonProvence, France and Europe are waiting for you with unforgettable memories! Known as France's "Grand Canyon", it's Europe's biggest canyon, a great place for hiking, climbing and white-water sports. But whatever your activity or size, you'll feel tiny in the face of its immensity.
Ireland and Connemara
This is a fantastic and truly amazing option. The wilderness is full of vivid colours, Ireland trekking from Galway is a cultural and wild adventure!
This list is only a suggestion. As we've already mentioned, you're on an adventure trip, and you decide what you want to see and enjoy. Iceland, France, Sweden, Finland and Slovenia are some of our adventurers' favourite destinations for their tailor-made trips. The world is a very big place and there is a lot to see. Plan your destination and experience your adventure trip for what it is: unforgettable and unique.
What should you pack for an adventure trip?
On an adventure trip, it's a good idea to pack everything you need for what might happen, but take it in moderation so as not to carry too much weight. Don't forget that you'll be moving around a lot and that you'll always be carrying your luggage on your back. It's also important to bear in mind that, depending on your destination, you'll probably need to take medicines, mosquito repellents, personal hygiene products, etc. as well as your usual clothes and shoes.
Below is a list of things you shouldn't forget:
- Underwear. Cotton socks are particularly important. Don't wear too many to avoid excess weight; you can wash them when you need them.
- The shoes. Comfortable footwear is essential, as you'll be spending your adventure moving from place to place.
- Shorts and long trousers. Because you can have unexpected temperature variations, and it's better to be careful.
- Long-sleeved and short-sleeved T-shirtsfor the same reason. What's more, long sleeves are perfect for preventing mosquito bites.
- Polar, for very cold days
- Sun cream for body and face
- The minimumdental hygiene
- A soap 4 in 1 (hair, body, washing-up, laundry)
- A good first aid kit with medicines such as paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamines, ointments for stings, plasters, saline solution and fortasec. It goes without saying that if you take medication on a regular basis, you should take it with you, but be sure to calculate the quantities you'll need.
- If you're a girl, bring somepersonal hygiene such as sanitary towels or tampons. Depending on your destination, these products can be hard to find. And, as we've already said, it's best to be on the safe side.
- Sleeping bag. If possible, one that takes up very little space.
- Documents and cashYou never know when you'll need them, and your destination may not have ATMs nearby.
It's a good idea to pack everything in a bag that's as comfortable and light as possible. Try to organise everything so you know where everything is, as you may need something urgently.
Tips for the best adventure of your life
As we've seen, adventure travel is unpredictable, so it's best to keep an open mind. Based on past experience, the best advice you can give is to make the most of your trip. Make the most of the experience and let yourself be carried away by what you get to know. Take note of everything we've told you to pack, and try not to take too much or too little. Also take the opportunity to get to know yourself a little better and appreciate everything you have. You'll come back more patient, more tolerant and with more joie de vivre. Start your journey of adventure. This is your time. Enjoy it and live it.
For what type of adventurer are these trips intended?
Adventure travel has the enormous advantage of being chosen by the traveller. As a result, we believe that these trips are designed for anyone who is a little curious and keen on adventure travel. You choose your own destination, so you also decide the level of adventure. For the more adventurous, there are more adventurous activities to undertake during the trip. But the more cautious who are looking to get out of their comfort zone can also be targeted: it's an incredible way to meet people and places that will make you think about your life and the choices you make.