This article will tell you everything you need to know about the deer bellowing season: the best places to observe and hear the bellowing of the deer!
At the end of the summer, between mid-September and mid-October, is the period for listening to the stag's bellow in Belgium. This time of year is the mating season for the stag, which has just one objective: to win over the females. So, for a good thirty days, the bucks try to seduce the does by uttering howls loud enough to get noticed but also to ward off their opponents...
So it's between 15 September and 10 October that you're most likely to hear the stag bellowing in Belgium. Another little tip: you're more likely to hear it in the evening and at night than in the middle of the day! We'll explain why:
The stags tend to bellow mainly when the thermometer starts to fall, corresponding to dawn and dusk. It is therefore advisable to go into the forest from 6.30pm in the evening and very early in the morning around 6.30am. However, stags can still be heard bellowing in the middle of the day, especially during the "big bellow" when the rut is at its peak.
Where can you watch the stag bellowing in Belgium?
In the Ardennes, you bet! The Ardennes are full of forests, each more beautiful than the last. If I can recommend one in particular, it's the forest of Saint-Hubert, where you can watch deer in their natural habitat thanks to wooden viewing areas. Here are some of the viewing areas you might find useful:
- La Tour de Priesse: Nassogne
- L'aire de Bilaude: Tenneville
- The Amonys area: Tenneville
- L'aire de la Borne: Saint-Hubert
- CRIE du Fourneau Saint-Michel: Saint-Hubert
A few tips before you go out:
- Discretion is the golden rule: it's very important to remain discreet and quiet because deer hear everything! Remember to switch off your phone, don't shout, don't close car doors loudly, etc.
- Pay attention to the hunting season
- Do not approach them too closely as they are very nervous at this time of year.
- Don't bring a torch - your eyes will soon get used to the dark.
- Get a professional guide to take you to the right places in the right conditions.
- If you want to sleep in the Saint-Hubert area, I recommend this site to find the right accommodation for you. Beware, the slabbing period is very popular, so plan well in advance!
The stag bellow in Belgium with a guide
Would you like to increase your chances of hearing the stag bellow in Belgium or even spotting a stag? Follow in the footsteps of the stag with Stéphane, our DiscoveRent naturalist guide. Armed with his camouflage tools, he'll take you to the best places to experience this immersion in the forest. The expedition takes place in the late afternoon and evening. That's the best time to hear the deer bellowing. Want to find out more? This is the place to find out 👉 All the info